The Royal Thai Naval Academy (โรงเรียนนายเรือ) was established by His Majesty the King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) in 1898. He officially opened the Academy on 20 November 1906. Originally located on the royal yacht Maha Chakri and some other boats donated by H.M. the King, the Academy later moved to Wangderm Palace in Thonburi (in the compound of the present headquarters of the Royal Thai Navy), then to Sattahip, and finally ended up at its current location in Samut Prakan in 1952.
Samut Prakan Central Prison was formerly located at 163 Amondet Road, Tambon Paknam, Amphoe Muang. The prison was built in 1937 and covered an area of 5.33 acres or 21,600 square metres. The area inside the prison walls was 3.45 acres or 14,000 square metres. In 1976, the Department of Corrections changed the status of the prison to “Samut Prakan Central Prison”. Mr. Winyoo Panit was then appointed the first governor of the prison. However, he was soon facing a problem of overcrowding and an inability of expansion due to the location of the prison in the city centre.
Towards the end of the 20th Century, the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Corrections developed a project to build a new central prison for Samut Prakan to solve the problem of overcrowding. They were also aware that the opening of the new international airport would see an increase of foreign prisoners. The cabinet agreed to a budget of 647,952,182.48 baht. The land was purchased for 147,462,500 baht and 500,489,682.48 baht was left for construction. However, an extra 12,060,797 baht was needed for a building for women prisoners. The new total now being 660,020,979.48 baht.
The new prison covered an area of 58 acres or 235,200 square metres. The area inside the prison walls is 18 acres or 73,600 square metres. Work on the new prison started in 1997 and was finished in 2001. The first group of prisoners was transferred here on Sunday 27th May 2001. The new prison is in Klong Dan District about 35 kms from the city center and the old prison. Samut Prakan Central Prison is regarded as one of the most modern prisons in the country.