PLACE: Phra Chulachomklao Fort ป้อมพระจุลจอมเกล้า
LOCATION: Laem Fapha sub-district in Phra Samut Chedi district
GPS Coordinates: 13.538183, 100.583383
OPENING HOURS: Open daily 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The Naval History Park at Chulachomklao Fortress is situated at the mouth of Chao Phraya River, Tambon Laem Fa Pha. The fortress’ compound houses a magnificent standing monument of King Rama V, which is located in the front of the fortress. Chulachomklao Fortress is a modern fort and has played an important role in protecting the sovereignty of Thailand during 1893 against unfriendly forces. During King Rama Vs reign, there was a period during which England and France were hunting for colonies. All neighbouring countries around Thailand were colonised by England and France. The king commanded that the fortresses at the rivers mouth be renovated and re-equipped, and also hired a foreigner who was a naval specialist as a consultant for planning the development of the Thai navy.